The microSD card reader won't keep the card in place. So I went to the web site and sent a help request for a new SD reader.
... time passes ...
chinese ideogram email says replacement is expensive, takes a long time to deliver, and to contact vendor.
Live chat w/Amazon starts out with "it's over 90 days old" and Out Of Warranty. After a bit of crying, Amazon agrees to "one time" deal: ship back unit for credit -- less $50 return fee. I agree and simultaneously order another one. Thus planning on sending the old machine back in the new machines box. Clever, I think to myself.
New machine shows up a few days later (actually two days early!) ... on the same day I get another chinese ideogram email asking for video of fail.
I send brief vid, and about 4hrs later, new email arrives, saying part is on way with two to three week ETA.
Ok, so I get online w/Amazon to return, just delivered and unopened, replacement machine. No problemo, I've got 30 days to return it.
More time passes, and part shows up in days, not weeks. Great!
Time to install replacement card. Machine came with bunch of metric allen wrenches, I figure tool will be in kit. Nope.
Card is under access cover with three screws that NONE of the supplied allen wrenches fit. Is oddball metric round head screw. Two have star lockwashers, and my compound linemens pliers, is able to grab the screws and I get TWO out. 3rd is missing lockwasher and try as I might, no go.
Plan B: Drill it out. This worked -- eventually -- but was harder than expected. Oh, and where DID those metal chip get to?
Finally! All three screws out! But ... panel isn't flat, it forms interior sidewall partition with 4th, hidden and inaccessable, top side screw. (sigh)
Sooo ... I BEND panel to FINALLY expose failed PCB. It's held in with four screws that DO fit one of the suppled allen wrenches and mometarily, card is out but still cabled.
There are about a dozen connectors, and two groups of terminals, with a total of eight wires in four pairs. Making sure to take pics before starting, I discover that the connectors each have been GLUED together with a dab of RTV silicon adhesive caulk. Oh joy!
You can see drops of sealant on edges of white connectors ...
After some Exacto knife work, pulling and tugging, I manage to transfer, one-by-one, the wiring from the old card to new, get it installed, re-bend the cover back in place (sorta, close enuf) and flip it back over.
After reconnecting the power cord, the moment of truth arrives, and I flip the switch. A moment passes and ... the buzzer starts beeping Morse code or garbage, the display shows the splash screen with some defects and thats it. Garbled beeps and a crappy display. No joy in Muddville, Casey, mighty Casey, has struck out.
Ok, fortunately I have a brand new machine, in the box, sitting on the front entryway waiting for UPS pickup.
So, I build the replacement machine, and stow the old machine in the garage in case I need parts. So much for the "return for credit" idea.
(sigh) I'm back in production, slightly poorer but wiser.
Just thought y'all would wanna know.